The Public Health Specialists of CIPB are committed to share their research works and findings for public good. New data and interventions are constantly being developed and CIPRB’s researchers are continuously publishing their works in different medical journals around the world with positive responses.
Paper published in peer reviewed journal (Link for this list—.pubmed-entrez)
- Suicide kills more than 10,000 people every year in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman F, Rahman A.
Arch Suicide Res. 2013;17(4):387-96. doi: 10.1080/13811118.2013.801809.
PMID:24224672, [PubMed - in process]
- Epidemiology of electrical injury: findings from a community based national survey in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Hossain MJ, Rahman A, Biswas A, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Injury. 2012 Jan;43(1):113-6. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2011.04.013. Epub 2011 May 17.
PMID: 21592474 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Experience from community based childhood burn prevention programme in Bangladesh: implication for low resource setting.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Svanström L, Linnan MJ, Shafinaz S, Rahman F.
Burns. 2011 Aug;37(5):770-75. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2011.02.005. Epub 2011 Mar 10.
PMID: 21396783 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Managing burn patients in a fire disaster: Experience from a burn unit in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Bari S, Sen SL, Rahman A, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Indian J Plast Surg. 2010 Sep;43(Suppl):S131-5. doi: 10.4103/0970-0358.70733.
PMID: 21321648 [PubMed]
- Burn injury in Bangladesh: electrical injury a major contributor.
Mashreky SR, Rahman F, Rahman A, Baset KU, Biswas A, Hossain J.
Int J Burns Trauma. 2011;1(1):62-7. Epub 2011 Sep 3.
PMID: 22928160 [PubMed]
- Consequences of non-fatal electrical injury: findings of community-based national survey in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Injury. 2012 Jan;43(1):109-12. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2010.08.034. Epub 2010 Sep 17.
PMID: 20850116 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Hospital burden of road traffic injury: major concern in primary and secondary level hospitals in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Khan TF, Faruque M, Svanström L, Rahman F.
Public Health. 2010 Apr;124(4):185-9. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2010.01.004. Epub 2010 Apr 8.
PMID: 20381100 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Determinants of childhood burns in rural Bangladesh: A nested case-control study.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Khan TF, Svanström L, Rahman F.
Health Policy. 2010 Aug;96(3):226-30. doi: 10.1016/j.healthpol.2010.02.004. Epub 2010 Mar 4.
PMID: 20202714 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Initial community response to a childhood drowning prevention programme in a rural setting in Bangladesh.
Rahman A, Miah AH, Mashreky SR, Shafinaz S, Linnan M, Rahman F.
Inj Prev. 2010 Feb;16(1):21-5. doi: 10.1136/ip.2008.021311.
PMID: 20179031 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Burn mortality in Bangladesh: findings of national health and injury survey.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Svanström L, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Injury. 2011 May;42(5):507-10. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2009.11.020. Epub 2009 Dec 23.
PMID: 20031124 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Non-fatal burn is a major cause of illness: findings from the largest community-based national survey in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Khan TF, Svanström L, Rahman F.
Inj Prev. 2009 Dec;15(6):397-402. doi: 10.1136/ip.2009.022343.
PMID: 19959732 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Perceptions of rural people about childhood burns and their prevention: a basis for developing a childhood burn prevention programme in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Svanström L, Linnan M, Shafinaz S, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Public Health. 2009 Aug;123(8):568-72. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2009.06.014. Epub 2009 Aug 8.
PMID: 19665740 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Health seeking behaviour of parents of burned children in Bangladesh is related to family socioeconomics.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Svanström L, Shafinaz S, Khan TF, Rahman F.
Injury. 2010 May;41(5):528-32. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2009.05.017. Epub 2009 Jun 17.
PMID: 19539286 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Analysis of the childhood fatal drowning situation in Bangladesh: exploring prevention measures for low-income countries.
Rahman A, Mashreky SR, Chowdhury SM, Giashuddin MS, Uhaa IJ, Shafinaz S, Hossain M, Linnan M, Rahman F.
Inj Prev. 2009 Apr;15(2):75-9. doi: 10.1136/ip.2008.020123.
PMID: 19346418 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Burn injury: economic and social impact on a family.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Giashuddin S, Svanström L, Khan TF, Cox R, Rahman F.
Public Health. 2008 Dec;122(12):1418-24. doi: 10.1016/j.puhe.2008.06.007. Epub 2008 Aug 21.
PMID: 18718620 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Consequences of childhood burn: findings from the largest community-based injury survey in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Giashuddin S, Svanström L, Linnan M, Shafinaz S, Uhaa IJ, Rahman F.
Burns. 2008 Nov;34(7):912-8. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2008.05.002. Epub 2008 Jul 31.
PMID: 18674863 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Epidemiology of childhood burn: yield of largest community based injury survey in Bangladesh.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Chowdhury SM, Giashuddin S, SvanstrOm L, Linnan M, Shafinaz S, Uhaa IJ, Rahman F.
Burns. 2008 Sep;34(6):856-62. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2007.09.009. Epub 2008 Feb 1.
PMID: 18242869 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Twelve tips for better communication with patients during history-taking.
Rahman A, Tasnim S.
ScientificWorldJournal. 2007 Apr 30;7:519-24.
PMID: 17525818 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Cost-effectiveness of an injury and drowning prevention program in Bangladesh.
Rahman F, Bose S, Linnan M, Rahman A, Mashreky S, Haaland B, Finkelstein E.
Pediatrics. 2012 Dec;130(6):e1621-8. doi: 10.1542/peds.2012-0757. Epub 2012 Nov 12.
PMID: 23147971[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Epidemiology of childhood electrocution in Bangladesh: findings of national injury survey.
Mashreky SR, Rahman A, Khan TF, Svanström L, Rahman F.
Burns. 2010 Nov;36(7):1092-5. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2010.01.008. Epub 2010 Apr 14.
PMID: 20395057 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Unintentional injuries and parental violence against children during flood: a study in rural Bangladesh.
Biswas A, Rahman A, Mashreky S, Rahman F, Dalal K.
Rural Remote Health. 2010 Jan-Mar;10(1):1199. Epub 2010 Mar 16.
PMID: 20337500 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- The horizon of unintentional injuries among children in low-income setting: an overview from Bangladesh Health and Injury Survey.
Chowdhury SM, Rahman A, Mashreky SR, Giashuddin SM, Svanström L, Hörte LG, Rahman F.
J Environ Public Health. 2009;2009:435403. doi: 10.1155/2009/435403. Epub 2009 Aug 23.
PMID: 20052265 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
- Socioeconomic inequality in child injury in Bangladesh – implication for developing countries.
Giashuddin SM, Rahman A, Rahman F, Mashreky SR, Chowdhury SM, Linnan M, Shafinaz S.
Int J Equity Health. 2009 Mar 23;8:7. doi: 10.1186/1475-9276-8-7.
PMID: 19309516 [PubMed]
|Born||Alejandro Reyes Roces|
(1924-07-13)July 13, 1924
Manila, Philippine Islands
|Died||May 23, 2011(2011-05-23) (aged 86)|
|Other names||Anding Roces|
|Occupation||journalist, author, essayist, dramatist, teacher, educator, fighter, raconteur, patriot, public servant|
|Spouse(s)||Irene Yorston Viola|
|Parent(s)||Rafael Roces and Inocencia Reyes|
Alejandro Reyes Roces (13 July 1924 – 23 May 2011) was a Filipino author, essayist, dramatist and a National Artist of the Philippines for literature. He served as Secretary of Education from 1961 to 1965, during the term of Philippine PresidentDiosdado Macapagal.
Noted for his short stories, the Manila-born Roces was married to Irene Yorston Viola (granddaughter of Maximo Viola), with whom he had a daughter, Elizabeth Roces-Pedrosa. Anding attended elementary and high school at the Ateneo de Manila University, before moving to the University of Arizona and then Arizona State University for his tertiary education. He graduated with a B.A. in Fine Arts and, not long after, attained his M.A. from Far Eastern University back in the Philippines. He has since received honorary doctorates from Tokyo University, Baguio's St. Louis University, Polytechnic University of the Philippines, and the Ateneo de Manila University. Roces was a captain in the Marking’s Guerilla during World War II and a columnist in Philippine dailies such as the Manila Chronicle and the Manila Times. He was previously President of the Manila Bulletin and of the CAP College Foundation.
In 2001, Roces was appointed as Chairman of the Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB). Roces also became a member of the Board of Trustees of GSIS (Government Service Insurance System) and maintained a column in the Philippine Star called Roses and Thorns.
During his freshman year in the University of Arizona, Roces won Best Short Story for We Filipinos are Mild Drinkers. Another of his stories, My Brother’s Peculiar Chicken, was listed as Martha Foley’s Best American Stories among the most distinctive for years 1948 and 1951. Roces did not only focus on short stories alone, as he also published books such as Of Cocks and Kites (1959), Fiesta (1980), and Something to Crow About (2005). Of Cocks and Kites earned him the reputation as the country's best writer of humorous stories. It also contained the widely anthologized piece “My Brother’s Peculiar Chicken”. Fiesta, is a book of essays, featuring folk festivals such as Ermita's Bota Flores, Aklan's Ati-atihan, and Naga's Peñafrancia.
Something to Crow About, on the other hand, is a collection of Roces’ short stories. The book has been recently brought to life by a critically acclaimed play of the same title; the staged version of Something to Crow About is the first Filipino zarzuela in English. This modern zarzuela tells the story of a poor cockfighter named Kiko who, to his wife's chagrin, pays more attention to the roosters than to her. Later in the story, a conflict ensues between Kiko’s brother Leandro and Golem, the son of a wealthy and powerful man, over the affections of a beautiful woman named Luningning. The resolution? A cockfight, of course. Something to Crow About won the Aliw Award for Best Musical and Best Director for a Musical Production. It also had a run off-Broadway at the La Mama Theater in New York.
Through the years, Roces has won numerous awards, including the Patnubay ng Sining at Kalinangan Award, the Diwa ng Lahi Award, the Tanging Parangal of the Gawad CCP Para sa Sining, and the Rizal Pro Patria Award. He was finally bestowed the honor as National Artist of Literature on 25 June 2003.
When once asked for a piece of advice on becoming a famous literary figure Roces said, "You cannot be a great writer; first, you have to be a good person".
- Trustee, Government Service Insurance System (GSIS)
- Chairman, College Assurance Plan Foundation
- Columnist, “Roses and Thorns” of The Philippine Star
- Chairman, Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB), 2001
- President, Bagong Katipunan Foundation
- President, UNESCO Philippine Centre of the International Theatre Institute
- President, Bulletin Publishing Corporation
- Secretary of Education, Republic of the Philippines, 1961
- Dean of the Institute of Arts and Science, Far Eastern University
- Co-Founder of the Philippine PEN
- Board of Regents, University of the Philippines
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Colegio San Agustin
- Chairman, Board of Regents, Pamantasan ng Lungsond ng Maynila
- Chairman, Board of Regents, St. Louis University, Baguio City
- Chairman, Board of Regents, St. Mary's University, Bayombong, Nueva Vizcaya
- Chair, United Way Philippines
- Chairman, UNESCO National Commission of the Philippines
- President, Cultural Nationalism of the Philippines
- Head, FEU Cultural Research Team
- President, Philippine International Friendship Organization
- President, Research Foundation in Philippine Anthropology and Archeology, Inc.
- Vice President, Art Association of the Philippines
- Vice President, Manila Symphony Society
- President, Philippine-Italian Association
- Chair, Philippine Selection Committee - Eisenhower Fellowship Inc.
- Member of the Board, Academia Filipina de la Lengua Española
- Member of the Board, Association for Philippine China Understanding
- Member of the Board, National Historical Commission of the Philippines
- Board of Authenticators, National Museum
- Member of the Board, TOYM Foundation
- Member of the Board, Casino Español de Manila
- Member of the Board, Philippine National Bank
- Member of the Board, Brent International School, Baguio
- Member of the Board, Yuchengco Museum
- First Chairman of the Board, PETA Theater
- First Chairman of the Board, Philippine Ballet Theater