Uc Riverside Mfa Admissions Essay




University Office Building, Room 116   Tel: (951) 827-3313      Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM

900 University Avenue                            Fax: (951) 827-2238                 Closed from 12:00PM-1:00PM

Riverside, CA 92521                               E-mail: grdadmis@ucr.edu

                          FALL 2018 APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE

Welcome from the Dean

Read the Dean's welcome message to new and prospective graduate students

Deadlines for Application

Check the schedule to find the deadlines for applications

New Applicants

If you are applying to UCR as a graduate student for the first time, or if you have applied before but were not admitted, complete all parts of the Application for Admission and submit the appropriate application fee. PLEASE REVIEW ALL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS TO THE LEFT.

Application Fee

  • $80.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents for all programs except the  MBA, MPAc and MFIN programs
    • $100.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents for the MBA, MPAc and MFIn programs
  • $100.00 for international/non-immigrant applicants for all programs exceptthe MBA, MPAc and MFIN programs
    • $125.00 for international/non-immigrant applicants for the MBA, MPAc and MFIn programs

The nonrefundable application fee must be paid by credit card (VISA or MasterCard) prior to submission of your application.

The Bourns College of Engineering pays the graduate application fee ($80) for all Domestic applicants, for the following graduate programs: Bioengineering, Chemical and Environmental Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.

Fee Waivers are available to qualified domestic applicants only. Waivers are not automatically granted and need to be approved prior to submission of your application. Only one fee waiver is allowed per student, per application period. We cannot issue refunds for any application fees already paid. 


If you filed an application for graduate admission at UCR within the last year and were admitted but did not register, submit a new application and appropriate application fee, and any additional or updated information or records. If you applied for admission more than one year ago, you must submit a new application, and all required materials.

Readmission/Change of Major/Add a Major Applications

Application Submission Deadline

Summer Quarter
(Re-admission only)

If you have ever registered as a graduate student at UCR, whether you completed a graduate program or not, you may qualify for the following options:

Add a Major: currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to add another major with the approval of the new program and importantly their current program, (i.e., Computer Science PHD adding a Statistics MS). Please note that course work used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.

Change of Major: currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to change to another major with approval from the new applied program. Be aware that any financial support that you have received for your current major will not automatically apply to the new major. Please note that course work used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.

Re-Admission: students who were enrolled in a graduate program for one quarter or more and have withdrawn from the program can apply to re-admit back into that same graduate program. Re-admission is not required for students returning from an official leave of absence. If you plan to use filing fee status the same quarter as re-admission to the program, you must complete and submit the filing fee petition found at http://graduate.ucr.edu/pub_forms.html. You will also need to indicate your intent to return on filing fee in your Statement of Purpose.

Always check with the graduate program first prior to submitting your online application for requirements and your eligibility to apply for these options. Visit our application instructions for application instructions, deadlines, and contact information.

If you are changing your degree objective only, i.e. PhD in Economics to MA in Economics, do not proceed with this on-line application. Please use the change of degree objective petition found at http://graduate.ucr.edu/pub_forms.html and submit to the Graduate Academic Affairs Office in the Graduate Division.

 Be aware that any financial support that you have received for your current major will not automatically apply to the new major.

 International students:

If you are a foreign student you will need to provide proof of financial support as well. Please speak to the International Student and Scholar office about your request to change or add majors. They will discuss with you any issues regarding your visa.

Admission Criteria

Read the general requirements for admission into UCR graduate programs

Fees, Fellowships and Financial Assistance

Quarterly schedule of fees and tuition is located on the general UCR website. Additional information about fellowship awards and other financial opportunities for graduate students.

California Residency for Tuition Purposes

10 Things Graduate Students Need To Know About CA Residence for Purposes Of Tuition And Fees

Additional information about California Residency for Tuition Purposes can be found on the University of California, Riverside website.

Review and Notification

Detailed review and initial recommendation to admit is made by the programs. However, only the official letter of admission from the Dean of the Graduate Division constitutes approval of admission to a graduate program at UCR, not correspondence with a program or with an individual faculty member.

The Graduate Admissions Office will make every effort to notify you of your admission status as soon as possible after receiving the admission recommendation from the program to which you are applying.

Duplication of Degree

Permission to work for a second master's degree in a NEW area may be approved on the individual merit of the application when there is little or no close relationship between the two subjects. Duplication of a master's degree in the same field is not permitted, and duplication of a doctorate is not permitted, regardless of the field of study. For example, if you hold an MS in Entomology you will not be approved to enter our master's program in Entomology but could be approved to enter a master's program in Statistics.

Medical Insurance Requirement

The University requires, as a condition of registration, that all graduate and professional students, including international students (on non-immigrant visas), have medical insurance coverage that meets the University's minimum requirements. A campus plan meeting these requirements is available. Find the appropriate contact for details regarding the campus Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) or regarding the campus minimum requirements.

Fellowship recipients whose awards pay all assessed registration fees will have their premiums paid by the fellowship. Students who can demonstrate comparable insurance coverage from another source may apply to be exempted from the mandatory plan. Students awarded the exemption have the GSHIP fee removed from their bill but do not receive any monetary compensation. Deadlines for applying for the exemption are firm.

Ethnic Identity and U.S. Military Service

Providing information about your ethnic identity or U.S. Military service is voluntary. The Graduate Admissions Office uses ethnicity information to measure the effectiveness of its efforts towards achieving diversity and to fulfill state and federal reporting requirements. Information concerning veteran status allows our campus to provide information about campus resources for veterans.

Social Security Number Disclosure

Providing your Social Security Number on the UCR graduate application is voluntary. This information is used to match your applicant file to GRE/GMAT test scores received electronically and is required for the processing of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application. Without this piece of matching criteria, all test score verification and subsequent application processing could be delayed. In addition, the Social Security Number is required before the dispersal of any stipend, fee payment or employment salary as part of a Graduate Fellowship or Financial Support package. Applicants without Social Security Numbers will have financial aid award packaging delayed. If not provided on the original graduate application, newly admitted students would be required upon arrival on campus to present the actual Social Security Number card for verification at the Office of the Registrar.

State of California Information Practices Act

The State of California Information Practices Act of 1977 requires the University to provide the following information to applicants for admission who are asked to supply information about themselves; The principal purpose for requesting the information on this form is to process your application for admission for which positive identification of academic records and test scores is required. In addition, if you are applying for financial aid, positive identification must be determined as well as eligibility for aid. Maintenance of this information is authorized by University policy. The officials responsible for maintaining the information contained on the application are the Chairperson of the program to which you are applying and the Dean of the Graduate Division.

UCR Nondiscrimination Policy

The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, employment, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University's student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action officer, (951) 827-5604.

Student Special Services

Student Special Services provides services for students with disabilities, veteran's educational benefits, ROTC referral, Selective Service and Draft Information, voter registration

UCR General Catalog

UCR's General Catalog

Campus Security and Crime Report

The "Jeanne CLERY Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998," commonly referred to as the "CLERY Act," requires institutions of higher education receiving federal financial aid to report specified crime statistics on college campuses and to provide other safety and crime information to members of the campus community.

University of California Degree Search Tool

The University of California offers 600+ graduate degree programs across ten campuses.  To find what is offered search the database at http://graduate.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/degree-search/index.php . You can also visit the UC graduate admissions website for more information.

Application Fee

The nonrefundable $100.00 application fee ($125.00 for M.B.A./M.P.Ac./M.Fin./Flex M.B.A. applicants only) must be paid by credit card (VISA, MasterCard, or Discover) prior to submission of your application.

This fee is devoted to the administrative cost of processing an application, and is not refundable regardless of the outcome of an application.

Do I qualify to apply as Domestic or International?

Graduate Program Applications

Graduate programs in some areas require specific program applications or supplements in addition to the Application for Graduate Admission. As applicants are expected to be aware of all requirements, please refer to Program Information for your proposed major for specifics

Submitting Application Materials

All required application materials (including transcripts) should be mailed to:

Graduate Program in (fill in program name to which you are applying)
University of California
900 University Avenue
Riverside, CA 92521 USA


It is very important that all transcripts be sent directly to the graduate program to which you are applying.  If they are sent to the Graduate Admissions Office, the review of your application will be delayed.

Applicants are required to submit an official copy of transcripts and degree certificates (in original language accompanied by certified English translations) from each academic institution attended after secondary school. These records should be sent directly from the Registrars Office of the academic institutions you have attended tothe academic department to which you are applying. If this service is not available, applicants may also request official copies and send them in the institutions' original sealed and certified institution envelopes. Official records are original documents issued by the institution which bear the actual signature of the registrar in ink and the original wet ink stamp/seal of the issuing institution. The institution envelope must also bear that institution's appropriate authenticity indicator (original wet ink stamp and/or signature, etc.) from the appropriate department at that institution to consider the provided certified transcripts and degree certificates provided by the institution as official. Notarized documents are not acceptable. Credential evaluations by WES (World Education Services) or similar credential evaluation services are also not acceptable.

All official academic records must be issued in the original language and accompanied by English translations prepared by the issuing institution. Specially prepared English versions are not acceptable in place of documents issued in the original language. If translations are not available from the institution itself, they may be prepared by government or official translators. For translations to be acceptable, they must bear the stamp or seal of the issuing institution or governmental agency and the original signature of the translator. They must be complete and exact word-for-word translations of the original documents, not interpretations. A photocopy of the original language documents (transcripts/degree certificates) used by the certified translator for the provided translations must also be included with the official translation by the certified translator. Grades must not be converted to a US scale. Records submitted for review may not be borrowed, photocopied, returned to you or sent elsewhere.

If you have attended an institution located in the U.S., please visit the Transcripts section of the Application Requirements for U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents page for detailed document requirements.

Please note that some US institutions have an electronic system of providing transcripts. This format is accepted for initial review purposes only. If an admitted applicant accepts our offer of admission a final official hard-copy transcript will be required from the institution's Office of the Registrar (not electronic format) before admission can be finalized.

Statement of Purpose/Personal History Statement

Applicants must submit these essays directly into their online application. Please note that each essay should not duplicate the other. We also do not accept a personal resume or curriculum vitae as a response to either essay.

The Statement of Purpose is your opportunity to state your specific interests with respect to the program to which you are applying. Your intended area of specialization, career objectives and research interests and experience are of particular interest.

The Personal History Statement is your opportunity to discuss how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Please include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey; how you might contribute to social or cultural diversity within your chosen field; and/or how you might serve educationally underrepresented segments of society with your degree.

Letters of Recommendation

Applicants will be able to enter their recommenders' information directly into their electronic application. Recommenders will be notified electronically and provided instructions on how to submit a letter online. All letters of recommendation must be received electronically so they are attached to the applicants file for review.

Graduate programs require three (3) letters of recommendation. Submitting more than three letters does not improve your standing as an applicant. At least two of these letters should be requested from professors in your major subject. The most important aspect of letters of recommendation is that they be completed by individuals who are in a position to analyze your academic ability and potential for success in a rigorous graduate program. If you wish to submit a letter from an employer, please contact the graduate program advisor to determine if this will be acceptable. Please note if you are applying to the M.P.Ac., M.Fin., M.B.A., and Flex M.B.A., letters from an employer are acceptable. All letters of recommendation must be in English. If you have been enrolled in a previous graduate program, it is required that one letter be from your research or program advisor in that graduate program.

Applicants using Interfolio's online portfolio service can have their letters uploaded to our online application using Interfolio's "Web Delivery" Method. To do so, please follow the step-by-step instructions located within the Reference Information section of the online application.

If you wish to waive your right to inspect the letters of recommendation, mark the appropriate box below the reference information. Only enrolled UCR students are permitted to inspect letters of recommendation for which they did not waive their right to access. Letters of recommendation cannot be released to the applicant and cannot be forwarded elsewhere.

The Graduate Record Examination

The GRE general test is required of all applicants with the exceptions noted below. Some programs also require applicants submit scores from the Subject Test of the GRE. Consult the program to which you are applying for its requirements. Although current scores are preferred, some graduate programs will accept scores from tests taken within the last five years. 

GRE scores from the General Test must be submitted for fellowship consideration. We strongly advise you to be aware of the deadline for the program to which you are applying. Dates and information for computer-based testing (CBT) may be obtained by contacting the Educational Testing Service (ETS) at the address below, by calling 1-800-GRE-CALL, or by consulting the GRE Web site. Fellowship applicants should take the exam in time to meet the program deadline. Applicants should plan to take the GRE prior December to ensure the timely receipt of their test scores for admission consideration. Keep in mind that it may take up to four weeks for test scores to reach us from ETS. 
Test Scores submitted may not be borrowed, photocopied, returned to you or sent elsewhere.

Applications for the GRE can be obtained from:

Educational Testing Service

PO Box 6000

Princeton, NJ 08541-6000

Exceptions to the GRE Requirement


Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts (MFA);Experimental Choreography (MFA); Visual Arts (MFA); and Education (MEd only) do not require the GRE exam. Applicant's applying to the Management (MBA and PHD), Flex MBA (MBA), Finance (MFIN), and Accounting, Auditing and Assurance (MPAC) may submit scores from the Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) or the GRE exam.

Be sure to list the GRE institution code for UCR is 4839. GRE department and major codes can be found here or by contacting prospective programs. If ETS has not assigned a major code to your proposed area of study, instruct them to send your score to your specific program.

Required Academic Records
Financial Verification and Visa Procedures
English Language Requirement
Office of International Students and Scholars (ISS)

Top of Page

0 Replies to “Uc Riverside Mfa Admissions Essay”

Lascia un Commento

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *