Imagine you got an assignment to write an 800-word precis of Shakespeare in the Bush by Laura Bohannan. It is a wonderful essay about teaching a true meaning of Hamlet to one of the West African tribes.
GET QUICK ACADEMIC SOLUTIONS HERE
What is a precis? Our article will give the answer to this question. Readers may have a look at the example of precis to get the main idea of this assignment.
What Is a Precis
A precis is a text summary which has to reflect the key points of the original text, its tone, and mood. Of course, when your task is to write a precis of such an interesting article, you want to add many details. A good precis cannot be long and complicated. It must have a clear, precise structure.
Remember: don't give personal opinions on the analyzed work because you are not writing a critical book review. The goal of precis is to guide people through unfamiliar reading. It means that the voice and opinions must be understandable for those who have not read the original text.
Keep in mind that a precis is not a:
- Plan/outline of the original passage
- Simple abstract of the text
- Selection of the most prominent phrases and sentences
- Chain of facts and sentences that are not connected
A good precis has the following features:
- Precis is written in a writer's own words. A writer shouldn't simply copy original sentences - he or she needs to compress and paraphrase them.
- It is logically ordered, with all parts of it being connected to each other.
- Precis is written in reported A writer can't use the first person pronouns (I, we) as precis is always written in the third person.
- Precis never contains any additional information not mentioned in the original text.
How to Write a Precis
There is a structure your precis should follow. Also, there are several short rules a writer must obey while working on his precis. The most distinguished essay authors obeyed these rules.
- Understand the size of your precis. A precis constitutes Â¼ of the original source in length. Thus, choose the major points and restate the entire text to make it shorter.
- Even though it is not a summary, a student still should include a summary of the original text. It is critical to avoid details. A summary/abstract should occupy no more than one paragraph.
- When working on your arguments, remember about the clarity. Make it obvious what you try to convey using simple language and essay structure.
- The correctness of precis is another critical factor. Its meaning is associated with correct English grammar, spelling, and punctuation. The authenticity of facts and figures matters too.
- Objectivity determines the candid construal of your text. Use credible evidence instead of your personal ideas/opinions.
- The coherence of information gives the logical interconnection. While reading, your target audience wants to see links - build them using different transition words.
- Conciseness is the last critical factor. It is a sign that your information does not include unnecessary details. Prevent your precis from wordiness and repetitiveness. Choose words/phrases wisely by enriching your vocabulary.
You must understand why teachers may assign tasks like precis writing to do it with passion. In order to write a good precis, keep in mind that it reflects your ability to express thoughts. Precis writing develops critical thinking and ability to summarize. Work on precis makes writer capable of highlighting the basic points of the original article.
Tips for Writing a Precis
How to write a precis essay? There is no particular template for precis writing. There are things you can do to make your writing process easier.
- Divide your precis into several parts. Authors themselves help by adding subheadings, so pay attention to these dividers. They mean new ideas will be discussed in a new paragraph.
- Take notes. Whether you are reading the text for the first time or re-reading it, write the key ideas down to analyze and reorganize them later.
- Think about the main idea in each precis section. Write each new idea down in a single, well-structured sentence.
- Create a thesis statement on the basis of your prepared material. It should be an overarching statement which expresses the main theme of the entire text.
There are more tips to be explored.
Step-by-Step Precis Writing
It is time to write the draft of precis. The main tips include finding an excellent article to analyze and prepare an outline. Precis outline will help not to get lost. Many online articles explain how to prepare a good outline.
We'll discuss how to write a precis step-by-step.
- Choose the article or story to analyze and conduct in-depth research. Pick sources available online for free. Select texts which are FULLY accessible online. If you can't view the full original text, choose another one. The best choice ever is a critical article written by a famous
- Explain why you chose the particular work. Your topic should be somehow relevant to your class. Always consider teacher's instructions.
- Once you decide on the topic, begin composing an outline. Precis outline involves a detailed structure. Refer to it each time you start working on a new section.
- List all arguments on a separate paper.
- Begin your opening paragraph by introducing the author's work. Explain what his main purpose is. No need to involve a hook sentence in this type of academic writing.
- The introduction is the most critical part of precis. Once you introduced the author's name and analyzed work, mind two other critical elements. Explain the main points; provide evidence used to support them. Second, explain/describe the target audience. It will give an overall picture of the purpose. End up your first paragraph with a thesis
- The next paragraph may include the summary of your work. Make it short by throwing out the details. Your readers are interested in the core arguments.
- The final precis paragraph is your conclusion. It has to be short, with a restated thesis. Don't forget to stress the importance of original text. Name all purposes and highlighted points again.
GRAB CHEAP PAPERS HERE
Now we can move to the part with precis example. If you want a complete precis essay example, you can find some here.
Precis Structure and Introduction Examples
Obviously, the longer the article/essay is, the longer your precis can be. It is worth mentioning that a critical precis essay has a specific structure:
- Introduction. Here you can give information about the analyzed work and its author.
- Text body. This part contains the main ideas and concepts.
- Conclusion. Explains why the original article is important.
A good example of the opening paragraph/summary of the precis might be:
In the critical article titled "Who Cares If Johnny Can't Read," Larissa MacFarquhar claims that the US citizens are reading more than they used before even though media argue about the opposite. She adds the time has come for the American population to reconsider the significance of this activity, especially when taking into account "high culture" works. The author supports her arguments with credible evidence. It is based on facts and figures from scholarly literature. She has compared the past and current reading practices to prove its critical role. Her purpose is to break particular myths about reading. Farquhar seems to have hip and rebel youth as her target audience. She stresses that the ideas she disagrees with are outdated.
In case the precis example above seems too lengthy, you may write a shorter introduction:
In his essay published back in 1936, "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics" J.R.R. Tolkien condemns scholars of his age for mining Beowulf merely for a historical certificate of Anglo-Saxon epoch, instead of valuing the piece as one of the greatest and most inspiring poetry works of all time.
More Examples of Precis Format
A precis format is the format of any other essay. However, it has some nuances. As an example of the passage under analysis, we chose the two opening paragraphs from The Beauty of Japanese Gardens in Kyoto by Roxana Robinson from http://www.travelandleisure.com/.
I was having breakfast on the 17th floor of the Hotel Okura. One long wall of the restaurant is a window, so I was overlooking half of Kyoto. Below was the Kamo River, flowing between old stone terraced banks. Beyond this was a patchwork of single-story buildings, interspersed with a few swooping orange temple roofs. The city spreads on to climb the lower slopes of Mount Daimonji, then stops abruptly, giving way to the forest. This rises to an elegant skyline: a long, wooded mountain ridge, lightly brushed with soft clouds, drifting silver mist. I was in Kyoto to look at gardens. I'm interested in the way different cultures respond to landscape, and in the fundamental question of what a garden is. In Japan, a deep connection to landscape is part of the culture. Shinto, Japan's oldest religion, considers certain natural forms - rocks, trees, groves, or mountains' to be sacred, representing the kami, ancestral spirits or deities, who inhabit them. Shinto is still widely practiced, coexisting peacefully with Buddhism; a profound engagement with nature is central to both religions. Mountains are sacred spaces, and building on them was long prohibited, except for shrines or temples. That's why this beautiful forested mountain, carved with clouds, was still untouched, dreaming silently above the city.
Let's underline the main points of these small paragraphs:
- City view observation
- The purpose of visiting Kyoto
- Shinto's worldview
These are the main points around which we are going to build our small precis. It is a nicely written abstract, with beautiful complex sentences and word combinations. Yet, we won't include these tropes into our final writing because our goal is to communicate the main thoughts of the text.
Another introduction example may be:
John Doe's work known as "How to Write a Precis" (2015), argues that any person can learn how to compose a rhetorical precis. He supports this position by outlining the structure, drawing the details of the efficient writing procedure, and offering extra considerations on the shape of precis work. Taking into account the language and voice of the author in this article, John Doe's target reading audience consists of the students and academic staff.
The analysis of the original text below received a high grade.
Roxana Robinson begins her article The Beauty of Japanese Gardens with a story of how she was observing Kyoto, the Kamo River and Mountain Daimonji from the hotel room. She noticed that the city is located on the lower slopes of the mountain. The rest was covered by forest. The goal of her visit was to study gardens and landscape as a part of the Japanese culture. According to Japan's religion Shinto, mountains, rocks, and trees are sacred, this is why building on mountains is prohibited.
We hope this post has helped you understand the concept of precis and the ways of writing a good critical summary.
Don't worry if working on a critical precis seems difficult. Remember: you always have a reliable assistant by your side. No matter how complex your material is, send your instructions to the professional team of writers. This way you order an A+ essay. Let us handle any topic to impress your grader!
WE CAN WRITE FOR YOU ANY ACADEMIC TASK!
Whether you are a apprentice or a teacher, writing apriorism statements is the lot of difficult allotment of the writing process. Acceptances abnormally accept a difficult time crafting apriorism statements that are not alone concise, but aback an argument. However, writing apriorism statements “and teaching how to address them “does not accept to be difficult. If you chase a few simple steps, you’ll accept acceptance creating abundant apriorism statements, and by extension, abundant affidavit in no time. The aboriginal time you do this, you’ll apparently wish to airing your acceptance through the accomplished affair in class, but they’ll get the adhere of it bound and anon be able to do it on their own.
Many acceptance like to apprehend after accomplishing abundant else. These will not advice them address able apriorism statements. They charge to appoint in alive reading, or account with a purpose.
It helps if they apperceive afore they alpha account that they charge to address a cardboard on this accurate piece. You can as well accord them some examples of things to attending for. Historical context, author’s message, style, and appearance development are all abundant ideas. Then, if they are reading, they should accentuate passages that they acquisition absorbing or yield notes.
Once the acceptance accept completed their alive reading, they should attending at the passages they accent or the addendum they took. They should be able to activate seeing a theme, or something that recurs throughout their notes. This is what they should anticipate about writing their cardboard on. Accept them begin some added account about this topic. The best way to do this is to accept them address down aggregate they can anticipate of about their affair in affiliation to the section they apprehend for 5 minutes, even if they anticipate the account are no good. Then, they’ll accept something to plan with.
Ask a Question
After they brainstorm, they should attending at their notes. Accept them address down a few questions about their notes. These should be questions that they can acknowledgment in a accomplished paper, not yes or no questions. Then, accept them accept one catechism they would like to accord with for the absoluteness of their paper.
Answer a Question
Once they accept called a question, they charge to acknowledgment that question. Remind them that there is no one appropriate acknowledgment to any question. Rather, as continued as they can prove that their acknowledgment is correct, it is. Their answers should be in the anatomy of a sentence, and it should be abundantly detailed. This agency that they should abide allurement themselves “why?” and “so what?”, until they cannot ask these questions anymore.
This will advice them ability a account that is not alone an argument, but is a circuitous one with abounding facets, which will advice them address a bigger paper. The acknowledgment to the catechism is their apriorism statement.
After they accept crafted their apriorism statements, they should go aback through the section they are writing about to aggregate details. Some of these may be in their notes, but addition attending through the access with a focus can advice them acquisition data they had missed. Accept them address these data down and again compose an outline or a clear organizer of sorts to advice them adapt their paper. They should be able to array data into two or three capital points, and this capital credibility will eventually become their physique paragraphs.
The final step in the action is for acceptance to address their precis writing. However, this should be simple already they accept done all of this pre-work. Accept them address paragraphs and sentences based on the data they collect, and consistently be abiding they are traveling aback to proving their aphorism throughout the accomplished thesis.
Posted in Career, Education, Essay, Guide, Writing
Tags: Academic Papers, article writing, Characteristics of Articles or Précis, college essay writing, college essays, Education, essay writing, essay writing examples, essay writing help, good writing tips., précis writing tips, precis writing examples, precis writing format, tips on writing, writing paper